Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Alamance Community College

Some of you know that I am working on my master's at East Carolina University. I am paying out of state tuition at $659 per credit hour. Let's multiply this by 36.

I have known from the beginning that I needed to take 2 undergraduate courses to fulfill a deficiency because Chowan College did not teach me enough. I just found out that even though they are undergrad courses...I had to pay the graduate rate because I am a grad student. Now to Alamance...

I applied there because it is the only college that I can find an undergrad Nutrition class that is offered online. Plus...I will only have to pay $600 and some change for the CLASS instead of that much per credit.

I called ACC today to see if I had been accepted and they told me yes. Funny that I had not been told that yet. I asked how I could register for my class and the lady told me to come to the school and register in person tomorrow with everyone else. I told her that I live 400 miles away...can't I do it online or over the phone. She saud they stopped doing that couple of months ago. She tarnsfered me to some guy, but he was not there so I left a message. I called back to see if someone else would tell me something different, but again I was told to come to ACC. So that pissed me off and I started checking out other places.

At about 3:45pm guy number one called and asked how he could help me. O asked if I could register for a class online or over the phone. He said SURE. We registered right there on the phone in less than 3 minutes. He said just call the business office and arrange for payment. Are you going to be paying with a credit card over the phone. I said I gladly would. He gave me the number and hung up.

I called the business office and asked if I could pay with a card over the phone. The lady said we stopped taking phone payments yesterday and that I needed to come to ACC and pay tomorrow. Again, I explained about being out of state. She transferred me to her "controller." I asked if I could pay for a class that I had just registered for. He asked when I registered. I said 15 minutes ago with guy number 1 over the phone. This dude asks did guy #1 say to pay over the phone. I was like NO, but he asked if that is how I was going to pay. Dude takes my information and says if you do not hear back from me then everything went ok.

This just goes to show that all NC schools suck. I graduated from Chowan High School in 2002 with a 3.9, now I am at ECU with a 4.0, paying too much for classes that are not worth my time, and finally I am at a school that does not do online registering or payments. I am starting my doctorate at UVA in the spring. F NC.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

YEA, it has to make you love going back to further your education. NC schools are a joke...ALL of them.

Kyleen said...

i have some issues with NCState...I pay nothing to take classes - but I can only take 2 free a year...so it makes the process of getting a degree slow. Anyhow I am enrolled in what they call a distance ed degree well they tell me now that I have to come to campus to take 3 of my classes and on top of that the ones I take on the TV live with the prof doesn't count - it did last year -but they changed it this year. BASTARDS.